We are seeking a highly motivated biophysicist with extensive pharmaceutical industry experience to become an integral member of the HotSpot drug discovery team. The successful candidatewill provide leadership and expertise in developing and implementing project-stage relevant, fit-for-purpose biophysical assays for drug discovery projects.
Within every human cell, nature has engineered finely tuned control mechanisms to correct imbalances caused by stress and disease and promote healing. At HotSpot Therapeutics, nature is inspiring us to create a wave of new medicines.
Through a proprietary technology platform, we are uncovering privileged allosteric sites used by nature to control proteins – called regulatory hotspots– that can be exploited through small molecule drug discovery. Regulatory hotspots are allowing sought-after targets to be drugged for the first time while delivering molecules with exquisite selectivity and attractive drug-like properties.
HotSpot is supported by a syndicate of leading healthcare investors based in the US and Europe. You will be joining a seasoned team of drug hunters with an excellent track record in drug discovery. As a HotSpotter, you are comfortable thinking outside the box and breaking convention. You are curious about the world and contribute beyond your precise role description. You are action oriented and extraordinary at getting things done. You communicate openly with your colleagues and you hate office politics.
HotSpot is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Effectively interact with colleagues in cell biology, biochemistry, computational and medicinal chemistry, and other functional groups to apply biophysical tools to solve project specific problems driving project progression
- Apply a broad range of biophysical methods to build up the strategy for characterizing the biomolecular interaction of small molecules with their target proteins in general and on the allosteric sites
- Manage external CROs to develop and run biophysical assays to support project progression. Ensure the delivery of high-quality data through efficient recombinant protein design, protein expression, protein purification, assay validation and consistency. Provide guidance for trouble shooting. Efficiently accomplish project goals on time and budget.
- Stay scientifically current, and maintain willingness to implement new technologies to the biophysical assays focusing on allosteric sites
- Make intellectual contributions to all stages of drug discovery process and project deliverables. Clearly articulate goals, progress, and issues to drug discovery teams.
- Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, biophysics or related discipline with 10+ years of industry experience
- Proven track record of developing and implementing biophysical assays to support drug discovery using a variety of detection formats. Experience with kinases and proteins with allosteric sites a plus
- At least 3-5 years hands on experience using SPR, familiar with Biacore T200, S200 and 8K models.
- Experience with other biophysical methods, including but not limited to MST, ITC, TSA, FP,TR-FRET, AlphaLISA
- Experience balancing CRO and internal resources to solve problems and drive project progress
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work seamlessly with multiple drug discovery teams to provide biophysics supports at all stages of the project
- Excellent organization and management skills, including the ability to set high but reachable goals, ability to manage multiple projects and capability to prioritize
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented,matrix environment, and the ability to work independently and effectively within tight timelines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities with a strong publication record
- Ability and willingness to learn and adopt emerging technologies to drug discovery process
- Ability to adapt to and effectively manage changes in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- A passion for drug discovery and sense of urgency to find new medicines for patients