About HotSpot Therapeutics, Inc.
Within every human cell, nature has engineered finely tuned control mechanisms to correct imbalances caused by stress and disease and promote healing. At HotSpot Therapeutics, nature is inspiring us to create a wave of new medicines.
Through a proprietary technology platform, we are uncovering privileged allosteric sites used by nature to control proteins – called natural hotspots- that can be exploited through small molecule drug discovery. Natural hotspots are allowing sought-after targets to be drugged for the first time while delivering molecules with exquisite selectivity and attractive drug-like properties.
HotSpot is supported by a syndicate of leading healthcare investors based in the US and Europe. You will be joining a seasoned team of drug hunters with an excellent track record in drug discovery. As a HotSpotter, you are comfortable thinking outside the box and breaking convention. You are curious about the world and contribute beyond your precise role description. You are action oriented, communicate openly with your colleagues, and extraordinary at getting things done.
HotSpot is seeking a senior cancer researcher with expertise in oncology drug discovery who has led drug discovery projects from early discovery to IND.
The successful candidate will be well versed in target validation and adept at designing and executing in cellular assays, as well as biochemical and biophysical assays. They should also have significant experience in pharmacology, including in vivo models/translational research.
The candidate for this role needs experience in managing and collaborating with CROs and working within a multidisciplinary team. They will lead the project, mentor, and coach a group of scientists.
The ideal candidate must be highly collaborative, self-motivated, and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
The Head of Discovery Oncology will serve as the project leader advancing drug discovery programs and will contribute as a team member to others. Responsibilities will include:
- Develop deep understanding of the target structure/function and become an expert in the target biology, pathway, animal models, and the associated human disease indications
- Develop and design in vitro and in vivo preclinical models that enable interrogation of mechanisms of action, drug discovery, patient selection, and define PK/PD/efficacy relationships.
- Manage a team of external contract research organization (CRO) scientists, as well as internal scientists
- Work with your counterpart in medicinal chemistry to interpret and communicate data, identify and push to solve hurdles for the program
- Actively seek and solicit input from experts and establish academic collaborations to access information on biochemical, cell-based, and in vivo models not available through CRO’s
- A PhD in the biological sciences (oncology, immune-oncology or related field)
- Experience working as a project leader in the area of oncology– taking projects from target validation and hit-finding to IND
- Proficiency in design and set up biochemical and cellular screen assays and animal disease models
- A proven track record of scientific achievement illustrated in your list of publications/patents/IND filings
- At least 6-8 years of relevant research experience in the biotech or pharma industry
- HotSpot is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We work in a distributed model where employees work in an office environment as well as work from home.
- This position is located in the Boston, MA area